Saturday, December 11, 2010

T-5 Info


For some reason, it took me a while to find the ID tag on the T-5 that I purchased from Romeo in Los Angeles on June 30, 2009, but I finally found it while cleaning it a couple of months ago. He told me that the transmission was from a 1988 5.0 which could very well be correct since the ID number places it as being built for a 1986 1/2-1989 Mustang 5.0. The input shaft spins freely in all gears, but we still don't know the real condition of it since we haven't actually used it yet. We'll see how it works once we get the clutch cable installed and the motor fired up. Below is a chart with the gear ratio details and torque rating:


In Summary:

Max Torque= 265 ft/lbs
1st Gear= 3.35
2nd Gear= 1.93
3rd Gear= 1.29
4th Gear= 1.00
5th Gear= 0.68
Reverse= 3.15


The transmission now has a new bearing retainer seal and rear seal so its not as if I didn't do anything to the transmission after purchasing it. I have the T-5 conversion yoke for it because I bought it some time in 2002 or 2003 when I still had my first mustang. I intended to do a T-5 conversion, but then decided to sell the car due to high maintenance costs and high gas prices. I also had the cross member from around the same time period. It saved me from spending an extra $175 or so. If only I had purchased the clutch cable kit back then, I would have saved myself from spending $200 now.


No comments:

Post a Comment