Saturday, June 11, 2011

Body Work

Lauren had work today so I went over to my parents house to do some more body work on the Mustang. The last time I worked on the Mustang I only had a chance to start body work on the front fenders. Today I continued to work on the same fenders. The driver's side fender doesn't appear to have too much damage whereas the passenger's side fender does have more body damage. I spent most of my time today working on the more heavily damaged fender since I want to see it done.
Passenger Front Fender
As you can see from the picture above, I've had to use a few coats of Bondo in order to obtain a smooth finish. I did my best to hammer out the portion of the fender that was crushed in by some previous owner, but wasn't able to get the fender flat. I used a coat of paint to see how close the fender was since it would help reveal low spots or ripples. I found a couple of low spots which is why you see a second coat of Bondo on top of the first coat. The third small coat on the top front of the fender was because there were some low spots that I didn't see before applying the second coat.

Bottom of Front Passenger Fender
If you remember from my previous post about the fenders, there was some rust in the bottom of the panel which I treated and filled with the mig welder. The fender still required a skim coat of Bondo in that area as well as the area where I filled the holes for the mustang emblem. I haven't finished working these areas yet, but will resume that possible tomorrow.

Mustang Roof with Bondo
If you also recall from my previous post regarding body work, the roof had multiple dents from the previous owner (or his ex-wife) that had to be addressed. While I worked on the fenders, my dad took the liberty to help me out. Using a body hammer, he did his best to pull out the dents, but they still required a flush coat of Bondo. The picture above shows the Bondo before it was sanded. We still have a long way to go before paint...


No comments:

Post a Comment