Friday, June 8, 2012

Adjustable Strut Rods- Ordered

I finally ordered a pair of adjustable strut rods to replace the stock strut rods on the '66. I've read that since the stock ones mount onto a piece of rubber or polyurethane, it prevents consistent handling due to the strut rods ability to flex under stress. There is also very little ability to adjust the caster which leads to improper alignment in the front end.

I decided to go with the adjustable strut rods from Rosehill Performance Parts since people that have used them have had good things to say about them and I spent about $150 less than the ones offered from Street and Track. I'm assuming that I'll receive them sometime next week which will allow me to get them installed sometime this month if all goes well. Once i have them installed I'll have my buddy Jeff B. from American Muscle Cars, Inc. re-align the car. 

Adjustable Strut Rods 65-66 Mustang
One problem that I have been experiencing with my steering is that when I brake the car pulls to the right. Another problem I've been having is that when I'm driving on the freeway and I run across uneven pavement, the front end starts walking all over the road (not a good feeling). I'm hoping that these new strut rods and fresh alignment will correct the issue. While I have the front end apart, I'm going to cut just a tad more off of the coil springs to drop the front end another 1/2"- 1". This should be one of the last major modifications I make on the car for quite some time. I'll drop a radio in it once I find an original one that I can clean up.


3 comments:

  1. The problem you're describing is what's called "bump steer," a condition when the geometry of the suspension doesn't rotate through the same arc radius during its travel and forces the front end to be moved in one direction or the other. I can remember what else you've changed on the front end, but it may not be just the strut rods. They may help when you brake, but you might want to check how all the components work. One way would be to take the springs out and then with the car on a jack with the tires on, raise and lower the car and watch the movement, especially the tow-in (or tow-out). It could help you find the source of the suspension glitch. Let us know how the strut rods work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I like your blog. Keep it up. That "run across uneven pavement, the front end starts walking all over the road" can be caused by a bad Steering Center Link.

    Bob
    65 Fastback

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. All of the suspension and steering components are brand new so I can't imagine that the steering link is bad. The only thing I didn't change out were the strut rods although I did put in new bushings. My suspicion is that installing the adjustable strut rods will fix the problem.

      Delete