Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sittin' Pretty

Since I'm not at my parents all that often, but tend to have an hour or two here and there once I get off of work I decided to bring the front driver and passenger seat to strip and clean. So far I have only taken the driver's seat down to the frame, cleaned it, sprayed it with Metal Prep and painted it with Por-15. I still need to put the seat back together and will also need to weld one small spot on the top of the chair where one of the backing springs broke.



I have taken the passenger's seat down about 3/4 of the way down to the frame; the top is stripped and part of the bottom is disassembled. Once I finish stripping that chair, I'll spray it down with the Metal Prep and then paint it as well. I brought home the "poor man's A/C" vent and have completely cleaned, prepped and painted it. All I need now is the gasket seal that goes between it and the bottom of the cowl. I'll probably clean, prep and paint the bottom of the cowl when I'm at my parent's house on Saturday.

My next step will be to re-weld the clutch pedal stop onto the clutch pedal, re-paint that area with Por-15 and then install the pedal hanger assembly and pedals. I will then be able to finish installing the clutch pedal cable and connect it to the clutch fork. The plan is to finish that set-up tomorrow while Lauren is working. Not sure what else I'll work on tomorrow seeing as the above should keep me busy enough.


UPDATE- 03/15/11


I pulled the upholstery off of the backseat and as you can see below, the frame/springs had some surface rust on them. Of course the rust wasn't so bad that the frame was falling apart, but it needed to be cleaned up, treated and painted with Por-15 to keep it solid for years to come.


The above picture would be the current view if the trunk was open; its not a pretty sight.  I didn't get any "after" pictures, but it looks 100% better than it does here. There is no more sign of rust and it is now completely black.


My next stop is to finish taking the burlap interlaced with metal wires off of the bottom part of the rear seat before I can treat it and paint it. I'll probably tackle that job sometime in the upcoming week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment