Sunday, January 30, 2011

Smooth Clutch Part II




I worked on the Mustang this Saturday while Lauren was at work. I needed to re-weld the clutch pedal stop onto the clutch pedal since I mistakenly drilled out the spot welds that held it in place. I first attempted to weld through the hole that we drilled into the bracket, but it didn't hold. I instead welded along each side and that seems to hold perfectly (although it doesn't look as nice from one side.)


I temporarily installed the clutch pedal support with the clutch pedal hanging on it in order to find out where the cable needed to come through the firewall. I marked the spot on the wall and put a small dent in it so that I could see where I needed to drill from the other side.



I then found where I needed to drill the two holes required to mount the support for the clutch cable, drilled out two 5/16" holes and mounted it. Bellow is what the setup looks like with the cable inserted.


Unfortunately the cable didn't quite reach the throwout arm once it was all installed and the clutch was positioned against the pedal stop. I'm currently conversing with Mustang Steve to try and troubleshoot the issue. If we can't figure out the problem, I'll just fit an extension to the end of the cable which will allow it to reach further.


On a brighter note, we tested the '67 Mustang driveline that my dad had laying around the house. This time I put a floor jack under the rear and jacked it up so that it simulated actual road conditions and came to find out the the free play is right between 3/4" and 1". He will take the driveline into a shop near his work to have it checked to make sure it is correctly balanced and then I'll be able to clean it up, paint it and install it.

No comments:

Post a Comment