Sunday, February 6, 2011

Driveline Dream

My dad had the driveline checked and it's said to be in good shape and balanced so we're going to run it in the car. I used one of his air tools to clean off the surface rust, dirt and grease and then used some ether to prep it for a coat of Por-15. We pulled out the universal joints to check the wear on them while I painted the driveline.


It turned out pretty good with the exception of some spots with stubborn grease that caused the paint to fish-eye. I'll have to go over the entire thing with some sand paper, clean it again and put a coat of regular paint on it now. The universal joints had substantial enough wear to warrant changing them. Luckily my dad had two brand new ones from years back that he never used so we'll use those once the driveline has dried. He installed the one of the universal joints on the T-5 conversion yoke so that we can simply put the other half on the driveline and mount it in the car.


While I was over I went ahead and adjusted the clutch cable and mounted it to the throwout arm. There is some pressure on the pressure plate, but according to Mustang Steve, that is a "good thing." I won't know if it is right until the car is running and we can see when the clutch is actually engaged or if it is engaged with the clutch cable mounted the way it is right now.


UPDATE 02-11-2011

Rachel had the "Get Tan For Your Man" party at our house tonight so I went and worked on the Mustang with my dad. We put on the yoke and universal joint and I then sanded and painted the driveline with a "cast iron" paint:


We had to drive down to Kragen to buy u-bolts to mount the driveline to the 3rd member. They sold them individually with lock washers and bolts for $3.99. While I was there I bought some chrome polish for the chrome parts throughout the interior.



No comments:

Post a Comment