Thursday, March 31, 2011

Alternator Upgrade

After much research on the topic of OEM Mustang alternators, I decided to find a suitable upgrade to replace the original 45 amp unit. I trolled the internet and came across multiple forums that discussed the subject and after reading THIS forum thread I decided to go with a 1990's ford 3G alternator. The one I bought on ebay today was a rebuild from a 1992 Lincoln Continental. I believe it is te 150 Amp version (as opposed to the high output 200 Amp version.) I searched for Ford Taurus alternator's as fist since I read a lot about people using those for their Mustangs and Broncos, but the one for the Lincoln Continental was cheaper.



The alternator is internally regulated and will come with the clip that plugs into the back which will allow me to splice it into my wiring harness. To purchase one from Autozone or even Kragen/O'Riley, it would have cost at leats $150. I purchased a rebuilt version on Ebay for $69.00 including shipping. The alternator won't ship until Tuesday or Wednesday, but I'm in no particular rush to get it either.

A guy in Indio said that I could have his 1966 Mustang power steering mount so I'm just waiting on him to let me know when I can pick it up. I've seen most of those on Ebay for around $200 used. This would be a big win for me if I can pick it up. I may pick up a water pump and drive belts this weekend since I'll be working on the car on Saturday while Lauren is working.


I also purchased a 1967-70 Mustang battery tray which I'll need the top half of to weld to my existing '66 battery tray to allow for room to install a 24" wide radiator from a 1969 Mustang. The one I'm looking to get is aluminum and with shipping will cost around $250, but it'll be worth not overheating in this desert climate. that part is still yet to come, but it's on my list of things to get in the near future along with the gas tank kit for a 1970 Mustang (22 gallon.)


UPDATE 04-16-11

The Alternator is now installed. I un-bolted the back of the case and rotated it so that the wires came out of the bottom instead of the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment