Friday, January 3, 2014

Fog Lights, Emergency Flashers, Sound Deadener

Since I had off most of this week I decided to bring the Mustang to my house and start on my laundry list of projects since it will be the last time in a while that I have such a big block of time to do anything. I started off with the emergency flasher kit that I purchased last year from Mr. Mustang. 

Emergency Flashers

As it turns out the switch that was provided in the kit only powered the front passenger side blinker rather than all four corners. I emailed him about this problem and he said that he would be mailing me a new switch which is a good thing because when I was tightening the switch after everything was together, the switch broke.



Veronica's blog "The Care and Feeding of Ponies" was helpful in determining that the switch was wrong. Someone else left a comment that detailed the same issue as me. The kit was pretty simple to install once I found the constant hot wire that powers the "cigar lighter". Other than that wire the kit simply clips into the turn signal switch.


Glove Box Light

I had to pull out the glove box in order to install the emergency flasher switch so I decided to figure out how to install the glove box light switch. I had to pull it apart and push the metal part through the front of the dash and then reconnect the backside plastic body from the backside of the dash. The switch just plugged into the main wiring harness. It doesn't look like much, but it lights up the glove box enough to see all of the random junk I keep in there (zip ties, fuses, spare wires, etc.)



Fog Lights

I had to drive over to Larry's Mustang here in Corona to pick up the wiring harness for the fog lights since I didn't yet have it. The kit was about $46. I spent a lot of time looking over the FoMoCo wiring schematic to make sure that I wired it up correctly.

66 Mustang Fog Light Diagram
It seems simple enough, but when I tried to find the brake running light wire which was supposed to be a separate black wire with a white connector I couldn't find it. I had the gauges out of the dash so that I could properly see all of the wires. I ended up splicing into the three-prong harness wires that all ran to the back of the car. I imagine the powered the brake lights, running lights and reverse lights. The middle black wire was the one for the running lights.

I connected the fuse breaker to the wiper motor just like was done from the factory.


When it came time to connect the old fog light switch and harness that I had from a previous kit to the new harness, the two plugs didn't match. It was a three-prong connector and they both had two female and one male connection. I ended up using a hacksaw to trim the rubber around the middle female connector and then used a pair of needle-nose pliers to make the female connector a male connector. The two harnesses then fit together perfectly.

Once the wiring was complete I tested the lights and the lit up great while turning on the rear running lights.

1966 Mustang with Fog Lights

Hurst Shift Boot

My Hurst shift boot has taken a beating since the bolts I used to install the Hurst shift lever were slightly too long. The ended up rubbing on the shift boot and creating a tear. Lauren was kind enough to buy me a new one and I replaced it while I had the console out to install the wiring kits. I made sure to trim down the bolts with my trusty hacksaw before installing it in hopes that this new one wouldn't tear.


Sound Deadener

I figured that while I had the car I would install some sound deadener (which was left over from when I did the interior) under the hood and under the trunk lid. I used Second Skin's Damplifier with black foil. In order to get a fairly accurate size/shape for each open area I used left over tissue paper (like that used for gifts) and some painters masking tape. I folder the tape over itself so that it was double-sided and then stuck it to the hood and then put the tissue paper against it. I was then able to run my fingernail along the hood openings and tear the thin paper. I then pulled off the paper and then stuck it on the front of the sound deadener. I just used a pair of scissors to cut out the shape.



Once it was cut I would test fit it and usually had to make a few more cuts so that it fit better. I think it turned out pretty good for what it was.



Here are some pictures I took the next day when I was returning the car to it's home:

With Fog Lights On

Rear View Behind my Daily Driver

1966 Mustang TMI Pony Sport Seat Interior (White)

1966 Mustang TMI Pony Sport Seat Interior (White)

1 comment: