Sunday, June 13, 2021

MSD Distributor and 6AL Box

One of the issues I've wanted to resolve on my Mustang was the fact that it had a hard time starting once it had been driven for a little bit (i.e. engine was hot). The distributor in the car was nothing to write home about so I had a feeling that it was the reason for my starting woes. I decided to buy the MSD-8479 with vacuum advance from Summit View Racing after a very disappointing experience with CJ Pony Parts. I also installed the 6AL box (MSD 6245) and the Blaster II coil (MSD 8202) to back it up. 


I have mostly installed everything, but certainly haven't fine-tuned it, properly trimmed the wires, or wrapped the wires. My dad helped me get it dropped in while he was up here visiting me, and then he helped me figure out that we were 180 degrees off when we dropped it in over the phone (after he left). Wiring it up was pretty straight forward and I chose to mount it on the driver's side fender apron. I thought it would have been cool to mount it inside the glove box since it has the Rev Limiter, but the installation manual specifically advises against it :)

My tach doesn't hook up to the new box so I'll need to look for one that is compatible with my new ignition setup. I'd also like to replace my radiator overflow with one offered by Scott Drake, but that is a project for another day.

Once everything was hooked up and operating properly my wife and I decided to take the car for a spin around town. It ran good enough although I will need to spend some time tuning the air/fuel mix and the timing to get it dialed in. It ran good enough to spin the tires going into second gear so that is good enough for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment