Wednesday, March 3, 2010

More Welding

Tonight I worked on welding holes that were drilled by some previous owner where the driver's seat is since the rail broke and they didn't want to just fix it. I also welded in a couple of random holes as well as some seams in the floorboard of the driver's side.

My dad cut a piece of sheet metal to fit below the cowl under the hood where the export brace mounts to. After he cut it to fit, we used some vice grips to hold it in place. You can see that we used another piece of sheet metal to help ensure that the piece being welded in would stay flat.

Once I laid some spot welds down we were able to remove the vice grips. I was pretty wiped out tonight so I decided not to use the grinder to smooth out the welds and instead decided to do it another day. We'll use a sealer to seal the rest of the seam and then use some POR-15 to coat this area along with the rest of the engine compartment. I still need to drill the 4 holes in this new piece of sheet metal for the export brace, but we'll do that before we coat it.

The POR-15 is scheduled to arrive on or about Friday so we'll use it on Wednesday after spending some more time cleaning and prepping the metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment