Wednesday, March 31, 2010

POR-Weld

 I continue to work on the 'Stang on Tuesday and Wednesday after I get home from work. I have been using a circular air tool to clean the engine compartment and underneath the car in order to prep it for a sealing coat of POR-15 as well as a bit of rubberized undercoat. My dad is on vacation this week and was able to take some time out of his projects to spray two coats of POR-15 under the car and in the engine compartment. The next step before actually bolting up the suspension and steering is to shoot a coat of etching primer and a coat of paint. The car is really starting to look better with a uniform color. I think we are going to cut out some of the radiator support (pictured to the right) and drop in a radiator from a 67-70 Mustang which will allow for better cooling. It's not absolutely necessary to cut the front, but it opens it up for a wider set radiator and allows for more airflow. The 65-66 radiator is 17" wide while the 67-70 radiator is 20". Details can be found on Mustang Steve's website on how to do the installation.

While I cleaned up the interior to get it ready for a coat of POR-15, my dad cut a piece of sheet metal to overlay a section in the trunk due to it being slightly rusted out. I prepped the trunk to expose the metal for a clean weld. Of course once the car is put back together, this area will be covered up with carpet, but we still want to have a good piece of metal there. We'll also be coating the trunk with POR-15 before also laying down a coat of rubberized undercoating. As you can see in the picture to the left, the gas tank is out leaving a gaping hole, but it will be replaced with a 22 gallon tank from a '70 mustang. That gives me an advantage of 8 gallons over the standard 16 gallon tank found in a '65-66 Mustang. I figured since we would be replacing the gas tank anyways, we may as well increase the amount of miles we can drive with a bigger tank.

I also took some time to fill in the holes drilled in the driver's side door for the mirror since they were a bit bigger than they should have been; the metal was thin so I had to turn down the heat on the welder. I used our air tool to grind down the weld and will flush it off with some Bondo when the time comes to begin bodywork.

No comments:

Post a Comment