Wednesday, March 10, 2010

POR-15

The past couple of days I have done some different things with the car. I started to grind down the welds underneath where I welded in the new rear floor pans and also started cleaning/brushing the undercarriage to prep for painting the rust sealant known as POR-15. From the reviews that I've read and the pictures I've seen, the stuff is pretty amazing. Tonight I primarily went to my parents house so that my dad could help me put in a new front CV half shaft (axle) on my Civic, but I decided that I didn't want to spend the time on it. My dad did pull a cover on the transmission to find an oil pan bolt sitting in the housing. I'll eventually need to pull out the transmission since it's been making lots of noise lately when the clutch is not pushed down.

Yesterday I coated the rear end with POR-15, but unfortunately I didn't take the time to degrease it and it showed today on a few spots. To correct the problem I decided to take some sand paper to it to clean it up. I decided to also clean up the backing plates for the rear end and coating them with POR-15. They had a good amount of surface rust on them, but they turned out pretty nice after cleaning and coating them. I also had the opportunity to coat the brace the mounts under the engine between the lower A-arms, but I didn't get a picture of that. I still need to coat a fair amount of parts such as the hood latch, hood hinges/springs, bumper mounts, inside car doors, inside floor pans, undercarriage, engine compartment, and trunk. Of course before I can coat these parts, I need to prep the surface and that takes the most time.

I'm looking forward to putting together the front end again (steering and suspension) so that I can drop in the engine and transmission. My dad was straightening up the garage yesterday while I was there and he un-buried the engine that will be placed in the 'Stang and it got me excited...

No comments:

Post a Comment