Thursday, April 1, 2010

More Welding

1966 Radio Hole
When I went over yesterday I spent some more time cleaning the floorboard inside the car and welding spots here and there. I welded in a small piece of sheet metal on the passenger side floor, and also welded in some washers behind the dash where the stereo resides. The original stereo had vibrated in the dash for so long that the holes where the volume and tuning knobs came out were worn and sagging. Putting another stereo in there wouldn't help because it wouldn't fit correctly with over-sized holes. After I welded in the washers, I had to use a hand held air grinder to grind the metal flush with the rest of the dash and then had to use drill bits to ensure a better circle. I should have taken a picture before welding in the washers to show how badly the holes were worn. The left side was worn about 1" down and 1/2" wide and the right side was about 1/2" down and 1/2" wide.

I also re-welded a tab that was in place to hold in the backseat that had come loose. We're going to shoot a layer of primer over the POR-15 and then a coat of black paint. That is the next step before we drop in the engine, steering and suspension and isn't too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment