Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Motor Madness

After realizing the the spindles and brakes that were sold to me were for a 1967 Mustang and will not properly work on my 1966 Mustang, I have decided to put off the front steering and instead focus my attention on tearing down the motor for a check and new seals. I'm in the process of deciding whether I want to simply give in and spend the $540 on a complete Granada disc brake conversion or if I want to spend around $2o0 to find new front drum brakes and spindles and then buy spring kits and new brake shoes. In any case I don't exactly have the money lying around to do either, so I wait.

The motor that we're using in the 'Stang was formally in my first 1964 1/2 Mustang that my dad and I built between 1997 and 2000. It was in the car for maybe 2 years until I pulled it out to drop in my dad's 302 from his 1972 Ford pickup truck since i figured that the motor in his truck was better. My original motor is a Ford 302 bored over .30 with a mild street cam (with something like a 580 lift I believe, but its been 10 years since we had a machine shop put it together.) The heads are 1963 Ford 289 heads that had new valves, springs, and hardened seats put in when the engine was rebuilt. It was great on the street and was able to get up and go when I mashed on the gas, but after I dropped in my dad's pickup 302, I noticed that it felt much more sluggish off the line and in acceleration. The combination of the 302 block with the 289 heads was a much better choice for the Mustang. I'm glad it didn't get much use before it was pulled out to sit on an engine stand in my parents garage for 10 years.


It had an Edlebrock Performer RPM intake manifold and will possibly have a 4 barrel Holly carburetor on top of it. I'm not sure what the cfm output on the Holly is, but I'm sure it will be more than adequate for this 302. As you can see, we kept some masking tape covering up the hole where my old Edlebrock 4 barrel carburetor used to reside atop the motor.



This motor always seemed to run hot which is mostly due to the small sized radiator that Ford designed to go into the 65 and 66 Mustangs. After pulling the heads, we could see that there was water that leaked into the right (passenger) side of the motor. There was a little rust where the valves are on a couple of the cylinders...nothing a new head gasket won't fix! My dad is going to take both of the heads to his machine shop and have them checked to make sure they don't have any cracks and don't need to be planed. We'll probably put the motor back together next week and we'll then be able to drop it in the car. Oh happy day.




Here are some pictures of the cast stamps on both the heads and the block:

C8AE 6015-B 302 Block

I found a blurb about the casting number on my 302 on ClassicMustang.com:

"They did however, design and produce a 302 block that was used on 289s after the stock of 289 blocks was depleted. The number was C8AE-6015-B with 302 marking in the lifter valley."

"C8AE-6015-B is a 302 block from the Windsor plant that was used in 1968 on a 289."

289 Head Stamp

289 Head Stamp

289 Stamp on Head


302 FoMoCo block lifter valley

302 rear of block stamp

No comments:

Post a Comment