Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spindle This

Since realizing the the spindles I purchased wouldn't fit on the car last week I have been keeping my eyes open for someone selling a used front set of spindles and brakes on craigslist.org. I have found some fairly good deals there so I try and buy all my parts from there if I'm looking for used. Late this afternoon I saw an add for 1966 Mustang 5 lug spindles posted and the city they were in was Riverside (where the car actually resides.) Once I got to my parents house I called and the guy said he would take $140 for them both.


I picked them up and spent the rest of my time pulling them apart, cleaning them and painting the spindles and backing plates. That was all I got done today, but at least tomorrow I should be able to put them on my car. The springs on both sides looked fairly new as did the brake shoes. The drums were a little rusted so we are going to use the ones that came with the other set of spindles since they are the same size.

My dad cleaned up the heads and is going to take them to the machine shop tomorrow to have them planed if necessary and just have them checked in general. He took in a new Chevy cam, lifters and crank that he had from D.J.'s old Chevy pickup and traded them for a complete motor gasket set for my 302. The set comes in tomorrow so when he takes the heads in to have them checked, he'll pick up the gasket set so that we can start putting the motor back together to set it in the car. Since I now have a legitimate set of spindles, I can put front tires on and I can also drop in the rear differential so that I can put on the back tires which will allow me to set the car on the ground for the first time in many months.

No comments:

Post a Comment