Saturday, May 22, 2010

Odds and Ends

While Lauren spent the day with the girls for Reghan's birthday, I decided to spend a few hours working on the 'Stang. I suppose to finished all I set out to do, but I really didn't set out to do a whole lot to begin with. Since I ordered a bunch or parts that won't be delivered until Wednesday, I figured that I would just work on some of the random things that needed to get done.


I started with the T5 conversion crossmember that I bought on Ebay about 10 years ago for my first Mustang (but then never ended up using). The last person that had it cut a section of it out to work with a bigger transmission. Although it would still work for my purpose, I decided to cut a piece of sheet metal to fit in the gaping hole left by the pervious owner and weld it in. I didn't want to leave a big open hole under the car where water could get in and cause rust. I had to also cut a small piece of the sheet metal to fit where a smaller hole was left open. By the time I finished welding in the new metal and painting it, it didn't look too bad. The picture is a bit shadowed, but you get the idea.


The next thing I worked on (which I didn't get pictures of) was welding the driver's seat frame together. Somehow, all four points that the frame rails welded to the frame were broken leaving no way for the seat to work. I stripped back the upholstery, ground off the paint and rust and went to town with the mig welder. I was able to get the seat back together with the seat studs set at 14" apart from center to center. I set the seats in the car to make sure that they lined up correctly because I would hate to upholster them down the road and then have them not fit properly in the car.

I pulled out the bench wire wheel and cleaned up the intake bolts so that we can set it next week when I'm over...sorry, no pics of those either. I also painted the valve covers that my dad worked so hard to clean up. I painted them a flat black engine paint that I also used on the oil pan. I think they turned out pretty good for original ford valve covers. By the time I was done with these, I was ready to come home. There wasn't a whole lot that I could really do today without the parts that are coming next week. Once they're in, I'll be able to set the front and rear brakes and then put on tires in order to set the car on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment