Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mechanics

As I mentioned before, the rearend is now mounted in the car although I have yet to put in the third member and axles. I need to buy the new axle seals and the third member seal before I can put it all together. This rearend is probably from a 1968 mustang and is actually an 8" and not a 9" even though it has the wider set axle housing. I had to buy the wider u-bolts and also had to drill out the leaf spring perches just to fit the wider u-bolts. It was a lot of hassle for a rearend that isn't even a 9". Maybe one day I'll pick up a 9" and drop it in, but the one I have now is better than the 6 cyl. rear that the car came with.


The motor started out today in pieces, but at least it was clean. As you can see to the left, the cylinders are all clean now and no longer have carbon buildup. You can also see that the cylinders are in different positions because of the pre-set firing order of each cylinder. The heads were re-surfaced since they were slightly warped.



Before putting the engine back together I put on a new timing chain and gears. The old timing chain had a lot of slack in it which was cause for concern so my dad picked up a new set along with the engine seal kit. I took a picture of the timing chain and gears after I put on the new ones while putting tension on the chain to show how tight they are. We ended up having to putt them back apart because the timing chain cover wasn't sitting flush against the block. As it turned out, the upper gear (larger one) was for a 1970's 302 and therefore wasn't the right one. We ended up putting the old one back on and the chain fit just as well, but this time the cover sat flush against the block.



I also spent about 30 minutes prepping and painting the pressure plate for the transmission since it is only bare metal and rusts easily. I painted both sides, but included the picture I took of the pressure plate side since it was facing the Mustang and I always take the opportunity to get the car in the background if possible. The surface of it is smooth with no ridges so I'm not going to worry about resurfacing it.



Getting back to the motor, after we put the timing chain on, we put on the heads, then the oil pan, then the lifters, and rods. Next week we'll put on the intake and then we can probably clean it up and re-paint it Ford blue before putting it back in the car. With my next overtime check, I'll buy the other motor mount and rearend seals so that we can set the car back on the ground and then drop in the motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment