Friday, May 28, 2010

Brakes, Seals & Bearings

Softball is done for a month so I spent my Thursday afternoon working on the Mustang. I went with my dad to Kragen/O'Riley's to buy brake spring kits for the front and rear, spark plugs and rear brake shoes. My dad had already picked up the front drum bearing seal, rear axle housing seals, and spindle washer/nuts on his way home from work. The spindle washers/nuts I bought from Kragen for a 1966 mustang were no good because they were too small for my spindles. The guy at the brake parts shop in downtown Riverside said that I needed 67/68 washers and nuts and as it turns out he was right. I don't understand why that would be the case if I have spindles for a 1966 Mustang...unless the guy who sold me the spindles was lying (he is a mechanic that told me he pulled them off of a 1966 Mustang.) Oh well--so long as the car aligns correctly then I guess we don't have a problem.



I installed the new brake springs on the front so that they mounted in the correct location. If you recall from my blog yesterday, one of the upper springs was so short that it had to mount in the top hole instead of the second one which changed the leverage. Now the top blue spring is longer which allows it to reach further.I definitely feel more confidant with my braking capabilities with these new springs on here.



Once I had new springs on both sides of the front end, I had to pack the wheel bearings with fresh grease. My dad and I spent some time earlier this week cleaning the old wheel bearings rather than buying new ones since these looked to have been replaced at some point. Each drum has a large and a small bearing. The large bearing sits further back on the spindle inside the drum and is locked in by the drum seal (which we replaced today.) The small bearing goes on after the drum is on the car and is held on by the spindle washer/nut that can be easily taken off to change the brake shoes. We used a high temp wheel grease to ensure longevity of life.




Once the bearings had sufficient grease packed in, we set both drums on the front of the car. Although we were ready to put tires on the front, we couldn't immediately find them so we moved on to working on the rear of the car. Let's not forget that I also tightened all the locking nuts on the steering...that's kind of important.



The rear was a little more difficult because since I had coated the rear-end and the backing plates with POR-15, the bolt holes were too small for the bolts. We had to pull out the drill to get the excess paint out of the holes. The axle bearing also had a hard time going in on the passenger side because there was a small amount of POR-15 in there as well; it wasn't anything a razor blade couldn't fix. Once the excess paint was out, we put a coat of bearing grease in the axle housing to protect the wheel bearing (sorry the picture is a little blurry since I was a bit shaky when I took it.) You can also see the new axle seal to keep the oil inside of the axle and off of the rear wheel and brakes.


Once the new seals were in, the paint was cleaned up, and we had a fresh coat of grease lining the housing, we slipped on the backing plates and the axles. We also put on the new wheel cylinders, but have yet to set the brakes and springs since we need to first locate the parking brake lever that goes on each side. We have all of the brake parts together, but for some reason can't find that one part. Without it I can't set the parking brake and would have to leave my car in gear when parked so that it won't roll away. Other than that, we are ready to put some times on her and set it down o the ground in order to put in the engine and transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment