Saturday, June 5, 2010

Check Out the Oil My Cadillac Spills...

I finally broke down and bought the emergency brake lever and bar for both sides from Mustang Village in San Bernardino, Ca today. After much searching and reviewing of old photos, I determined that the 8" rearend that I purchased never had those parts. It cost me $54 (including tax) to pick up the parts, but it allowed me to move forward with the installation of the rear brakes.


On my way over to my parents house this Saturday, I also stopped by Kragen to buy a 1967 Mustang master cylinder since it has separate reservoirs for the front and rear brakes leaving me less susceptible to complete brake failure if the master gives out or if I have a leak in a line on the front or the rear. Unfortunately it came with the push rod installed and in attempting to get it out, I broke the new master cylinder--there goes $45 down the drain. I didn't bother to take a picture of that since it was frustrating enough to have to look at it without having to be reminded of that frustration whenever referring back to this blog.


Once the rear brakes were on, the only tires I had to put on the back were my mom's stock 2007 Cadillac CTS rims. I was surprised to see that they fit and had enough backspacing for the '67 rear in my '66. I have three different kinds of rims on the car,The spare on the front left, my brothers old rim on the front right, and my mom's CTS rims on both sides of the rear. It's quite a sight to see. The car is still in the air until I have the brakes fully hooked up which will still require new hoses all the way around, a new master cylinder, and hard lines on the front. I have ordered all of those parts with the exception of the hard lines which will have to be customer made due to the dual master which these cars didn't have in 1966. I'll need to buy some straight tube and mold with with my dad's tube bender tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment