Saturday, April 17, 2010

Differential Dissapointment

After doing some research today, I discovered the the 9" rearend that I bought months back will not work in my car unless I cut the housing and shorten the axles. The distance between spring perches is the same, however there is additional 1 1/2" on each axle leaving the tires to stick out past the wheel-well. It will also work if I can find rims that have the correct offset to accommodate the additional width. Bummer. And to think I spent time pulling it apart and getting it ready to put back into the car soon. I also bought new u-bolts to mount it--another waste of money. My dad is going to see if Mustang Village will trade my 9" rearend for one of their 8" rearends. We'll see...

I spent some time working on the 'Stang today since my wifey was working on a group project in Yorba Linda for a few hours this fine Saturday afternoon. I wanted to start putting in the front steering and suspension so I started with the lower control arms...additional frustration ensued. As you can see in the picture, the lower arm and the strut rod don't line up. It looks like the area that they are bolted up to took a little bit of a beating so that they don't pivot in a straight line. We'll have to straighten it out in order to move forward with this portion of the project.


I did, however get the opportunity to actually fit in the upper control arms after greasing them. I was glad that at least something fit on the car today. I also bolted in a new spring perch on the A arm before mounting it as one piece onto the car. Both sides were installed today although I'll only put up the driver's side as an illustration. I think the car looks much better with a baby wing growing out of the side. Once we get the lower control arm installed, we'll be able to mount the spindles and then the brakes. We'll probably put in the rest of the steering parts before we put in the spindles though. I also used the rebuild kit for the power steering cylinder to rebuild it and then I cleaned off the grime and old paint in order to put a coat of POR-15 on it.


One of the last things I was able to get done on the Mustang today before coming home to my wife was to install the motor mount brackets. I wanted to make sure that they fit in the car before we get ready to drop the motor in. They fit great and also look great. After I took the picture shown to the right, I scraped off the part tags, prepped the metal and coated them with some more POR-15. This car continues to come together one piece at a time and it looks like it might take a bit longer than I hoped it would to finish because it will also cost more than I had hoped it would. Completely restoring a car can not only be a drain on time, but also on the wallet. I estimate about another $4000 before this beast is ready for the road and/or local car shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment