Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Steering in the Right Direction

I worked on the car the past couple of days in the rain (usually under a small cover) since I didn't want to forfeit my weekly time to work on it. I decided to continue working on the steering and suspension since that is one of the more important things to install before putting in the engine--not that it had to be installed first, but it makes things much easier. Yesterday I put together the entire front end steering parts (center link, inner/outer tie rods, steering cylinder, hoses, etc.) and today I installed it in the car after pulling off the steering links and replacing the rubbers.With new parts and a painted engine compartment, the front end is looking much better!

Before:

After:

Of course it's still a work in progress since you don't see the master cylinder, export brace or accelerator linkage, but you get the idea. I also need to re-paint the area where the motor mounts were since I had to re-weld that section of the frame as seen on the right side of the engine compartment. When we were having to use a wench to pull the frame where the lower control arm mounts, it split the metal. As you can can see, I had to pull the motor mount brackets in order to move over this area. I'm waiting to re-paint this area before I put the brackets back on the car. I didn't paint it today because it was raining too much and since I'll be using the POR-15 to seal the metal, I'll want to wait-- if any water gets in the paint, it won't stick to the metal.

The car is looking much more like a car with the steering and most of the suspension back in the car now. I think that Lauren would like the car much better now that its starting to look less like a monster and more like something you can drive. We would have put the 1" lowering springs in, but we couldn't find the spring compressors to make them fit. We'll have to find them at which point we will be able put the springs and shocks in. As you can see in the picture to the right, I put the spindles on as well. I'm glad that the entire front end is composed of all new parts and rubbers. My first car (1964 1/2 Mustang) squeaked when it rained and that would get annoying quick.




No comments:

Post a Comment