Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Air Cleaner

I ordered a 3x14 round K&N air filter on Monday for the 'Stang through my buddy who works there. The filter currently under the hood is 4x13. I'm not sure when I'm going to fire up the motor for the first time, but I figured that I should have it ready to go at any moment. I should have the filter sometime later today and will put it in the next time I'm over.

My older brother put an Edelbrock chrome air cleaner on top of the carb to help keep the dirt out, but the chrome was damaged in four different spots. There were three spots where the chrome was worn all the way through on the top and the front lip was dented and the chrome was flaking off. I decided to take that lemon and make some delicious lemonade.


Since the spots that were worn through dipped down, I used a skim coat of Bondo to make it flush. Once it set, I sanded it down to be level and smooth and then prepped the rest of the cover by sanding it with 800 grit sandpaper to take a coat of grey primer.


Once that was dry I sprayed it with a few coats of flat black paint to match the rest of the black parts under the hood (i.e. valve covers, shock tower caps, headers.)



UPDATE 08-28-2011

I received my K&N air filter in the mail about 1 business day after ordering it since they are headquartered in the city next to me. I stopped by my parents house after church to install the air filter.


K&N Filter Installed (3x14)
I had to cut down a threaded stud to fit into the carburetor so that it wouldn't be too tall and go into the hood, but also long enough to have a wing nut fit onto the top. I cleaned the bottom pan of the filter since it had water spots and dust on it. What would be the point of having an air filter on the car if I left the dust that was sitting inside of the filter?

No comments:

Post a Comment