Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hood Fill & New Rear Shocks

I leave tomorrow for Florida for the rest of the week and in an effort to reduce some of the overtime  I will be receiving, my work sent me home early today.  This gave me a narrow window of opportunity to work on the Mustang. 

I started out on the hood. I wanted to fill  in the holes for the F-O-R-D letters that attached to the front of it. I flipped it over on the horses and using the arc welder, I spot filled the holes from the back. I gave them a chance to cool off and then ground down any bit that was sticking out past the hood itself.
Now that the holes were primarily filled, I mixed up a batch of Bondo and skimmed over the top to allow for a smooth finish.

I took certain  parts of the car down to metal and unfortunately the primer we bought isn't a self-etching primer and therefore wasn't sticking to the car. This was especially true under the hood. My  dad was nice enough to pick up some self-etching primer so I took  down  the paint that was barely sticking to the hood and sprayed some of this new primer. It seemed to stick very well.


I've been reading a lot of negative things about having rear air shocks mounted in a Mustang primarily because they don't give much and the point at which the shock mounts isn't very strong. Most people that have air shocks ultimately crack their mounts so I decided to get a different set. I bought these brand new from a member on vintage-mustang.com for $50 shipped. They are KYB gas-a-just are provide a little bit of a firmer ride, but since I have regular 4-leaf springs I should be fine.




1 comment: