Friday, July 10, 2009

8" Rearend


Well there certainly have been some eventful things that have transpired over the course of the past few days. I drove to a transmission parts house in Anaheim off of Ball Road to pick up a new front bearing retainer plate and seals for the T5 (which cost be $28.28), and also inquired about them possibly purchasing my other T5 that I have at the house. They said that if its a "turner" (meaning that the input shaft spins), they could pay up to $100. I'll have to see if it spins, and if so, I'll swing it by there sometime next week. After I picked up those parts, I drove to a guy named Scotty's house to pick up the rear shock plates/U-bolts and the engine mounting plates (not the engine mounts). When I got there, he informed me that he didn't have the shock plates that he said he did. Later I would find out that the motor mounting brackets that he gave me were actually motor mounts that I could have purchased at Kragen for $9.99 each (he charged me $50 for two used ones). I called him tonight and told him I wanted my money back and he agreed to give it to me on Monday.


The guy that came to look at the inline 6 motor actually bought it for $150 (even though I had it advertised for $100) because that was the price we agreed upon. The new front end suspension parts that my parents bought me for my birthday arrived at their house in Riverside this afternoon, but we will hold off putting them on until I have cleaned and re-sprayed the frame with rubber undercoating.


While I was at the house today, my job was to disassemble the rear differential and clean off all the grease and road grime. It looked pretty gross. The brake pads on the rear are actually cracked and need to be replaced, but they are pretty inexpensive and I don't have a problem spending the money to replace them when that time comes. The rear is missing the brake line that connects both drums, so I'll have to purchase that from somewhere. As it turns out, this rearend is not an 8" from a 65-66 Mustang...it is an 8" from a 67-68. This means that the overall width of the rearend is 2" wider which will create a need for special backspacing on the rear rims.



I first had to spray some rust remover on the third member bolts to get the nuts off without breaking the housing. It took me only a few minutes to actually get them off, but I'm glad I spent the time cleaning the threads before running them off with an impact air gun. Of course I drained the oil and pulled the axles out before pulling the 3rd member out. One of the axles had been pulled before (possibly to replace a seal) and came out much easier than the other side. The bearings seemed to be in pretty good shape so I'll leave them in for now.


Once I had everything apart and was left with an empty housing, I decided to spray some degreaser on the housing and let it soak. While I let it soak, I used another air tool to clean off the flywheel and pressure plate in order to have it ready to put in the car. It had some surface rust and junk on it, so it needed a little cleaning. Once the degreaser set for about 20 minutes, I used a wire brush to clean off some of the grease. Of course there was a lot of old grease on the rear, so I resorted to using an air tool with a circular scruff pad on it. This allowed me to clean off most everything right down to the bare metal.


From here we'll have to pull my brother Calvin's 3:55 rear gears from his Mustang to drop into my 8" since I'm putting in the 5-speed. He'll want me 2:79's since he is only running the stock C4 3 speed automatic. at 65mph he's currently turning 4,000 RPM and would like to have his motor turning at less than 4,000 revolutions per minute. I on the other hand, would love to have higher gears since I have 2 extra gears in my tranny which will still allow me to have low RPM's on the freeway but performance on the street. After we swap gears, I'll be able to primer and paint the housing to get it ready to put back in the car.


My dad pulled out the engine the other day when that guy came by to buy it, so now I have a gaping hole where there previously was a somewhat smaller gaping hole with an inline 6 trying to fill the space. He spent his time this afternoon/evening pulling out the existing wires and some of the steering parts to get it ready for sanding and painting. This little project certainly is coming along nicely. Hopefully I won't have to switch over all of the steering parts on the front end because that would end up costing me a pretty penny. We'll test it out the new parts soon enough to see if that will be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment