Monday, July 6, 2009

Flywheel, Clutch & Pressure Plate



Yes, you guessed right, I purchased a used flywheel, clutch and pressure plate for the 'Stang. I had posted an ad on Craigslist (a free online classifieds page) mentioning my need for a 28oz flywheel for an early Ford 302 block. I received three different responses within a couple of days, but the best offer by far was a guy named Brian who was offering me not only his flywheel, but also his clutch and pressure plate that only had about 3,000 miles on them. The best part of the deal was that he only wanted $30 for everything! I couldn't believe how cheap the parts were and there was no way that I would pass up the offer. The parts came off of his 1966 Mustang 4-speed that he had sitting at his parents house in Oceanside, but he was living in San Juan Capistrano. We decided to meet at the San Juan house on Monday once I got off of work in Irvine. The parts looked decent and the flywheel only had a couple of small heat cracks in it, but looked pretty good overall.

Update 09/02/13: I pulled the flywheel and clutch setup above and installed a Ford Racing 10.5" setup. The post for it is HERE.



He had a few other parts including a Holly 4-barell carburetor (without a choke) for $60, a re-surfaced head, '66 instrument bezel, and a Holly fuel pump for $10. Figuring that I would probably be in need of a fuel pump when the motor went in, I decided to buy the fuel pump for an extra ten bucks. Yet another deal I couldn't allow myself to pass up. He said that he had even more parts like front seats and other miscellaneous parts. He seemed like a nice guy and told me to let him know if I needed any other parts and he would let me know if he needed any parts from me. This was a much better transaction that I have had in recent weeks with people online. I hope to have many more encounters like the one I had today.



I still need a few parts to complete the drive train: throwout bearings, clutch cable kit, starter, transmission mount, speedometer gear, front/rear transmission seals, front bearing retainer, motor mounting brackets, motor mounts, alternator, radiator, etc, etc, etc. I'm hopefully selling the inline six for $150 tonight which will fund a few more of those lovely parts. I'll let you know in the next update!



No comments:

Post a Comment