Sunday, July 5, 2009

Still Dismanteling!



I was fortunate enough to spend most of Saturday and some of Sunday working on the car this weekend since Lauren was at Gail's on Saturday morning and hanging out with different friends on Sunday afternoon. When I got to my parent's house on Friday night I pulled out most of the interior including the seats, carpet, glove box door, rear quarter panels, scuff plates, and kick panels. There is definite rust in the rear floor panels, but fortunately we have brand new rear floor pans to weld in place of the rusted ones. While I was digging in the garage this weekend I found a few other new parts that we'll be able to use for the 'Stang (i.e. window roller clips, new heater knobs, etc).


We pulled out the rear differential on Saturday, but not without incident. While we were un-bolting the passenger-side leaf spring, the rear end fell off the jack and landed on my face. Fortunately it missed my eye by about one inch, but it did leave a cut and a swollen face and head. A guy came over and bought the rear end for $80, which will just go towards purchasing some leaf spring mounting plates and U-bolts for the new 8" rear that we bought a couple of weeks ago. The car looks a little naked without the rear end, but it will be clothed again within the next couple of weeks I'm sure. I've been coresponding with a guy in Orange who has the plates and bolts i need to put in the new rear. Calvin wants to swap gears with me so that I will have 3:55's and he'll have 2.79's.



On Sunday we pulled off the front drums/spindels. We had to compress the spings to get them out, but they didn't give us too much trouble. We're going to cut one ring off of the sping so that it drops the front of the car about 1". I think we're going to re-use the gas shocks that were already in the car because they seem to work fine, and if they don't work right, they're easy enough to change out. As it turns out, the upper and lower arms have worn out bushings, and it would cost more money to have the bushings changed than it would to just buy new ones. Since my birthday is in a few weeks, my parents offered to buy me new upper and lower control arms as my gift! Very generous! Once I have those, I'll be able to put the front end suspension back together and get it set back on the ground. We'll want to clean up the area and probably paint/undercoat it so that it looks good. I think that we're going to pull out the engine the next time we work on the car. We already have everything un-hooked and the motor is ready to come out. We found a holly double pumper four barrel carburator in the garage, so hopefully we'll get to put that on when the engine is dropped in.


No comments:

Post a Comment