Saturday, July 18, 2009

Steering Removal

I dropped off Lauren with her boss and another doctor as they were on their way out to Vegas to learn more about the fun-filled world of X-Rays for the day. It was sad to see her go, but it gave me the opportunity to work a little more on the 'Stang. It's been extremely hot in the Inland Empire and today was no exception. The temp gauge in my dad's truck read 105 degrees!

I had a guy name Miguel come over at 10am to buy both of the 64 1/2 hoods for $200. He hung around for a while and talked to me about Mustang stuff and different avenues to get the same parts cheaper. He told me about a kit that would allow you to put disk brakes from an 05-09 Mustang Cobra for around $450. The only downside to this was that you would have to put 17" rims on the car because of clearance issues with the caliper.




When he left I continued to strip down the engine bay to prepare it for metal etching primer and paint soon to follow. I would be pulling out the steering parts (control valve, tie rods/sleeves, and idler arm) in order to ship it to Illinois to get the V8 steering parts I need. I'll update when I receive the new parts.




I went inside to grab a bite to eat around noon since I was famished and after taking off my rubber gloves, I could see that I might be in need of a bath...Lauren probably wouldn't want me to give her a hug looking like this! You should have seen how dirty my face was!


I stripped down the cross bar that runs underneath the motor connecting both sides of the car. I'll paint it black to match the rest of the engine compartment.



I pulled out the front sway bar and after looking at it up close, I've decided to swap it out for a beefy 1" or 1 1/8" sway bar to stiffen the handling. The sway bar that came in it was for a 6 cylinder motor so dropping in a 302 eight cylinder will add the need for more stability. They run an average of $100, so it looks like I'll be putting that off for a little bit longer. The car won't be on the road for at least a few more months and I have some basic drivetrain parts to buy (i.e. motor mount, trans mount, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, pivot ball, u-joints, etc, etc.)

UPDATE 10-11-11

I broke down and bought the 1" front sway bar and installed it prior to finishing the car. You can see the entry HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment