Saturday, January 28, 2012

Battery Connections and Lighting

I had the morning and afternoon to work on the Mustang today since Lauren had to work. I stopped by Kragen/O'Riley and picked up six feet of red battery cable (4 gauge), battery post pads, battery post protectors, rearend gear oil, power steering fluid, and the water pump bypass hose. I started my day off by installing the bypass hose and then I jumped right to battery cables. I cut three different lengths; battery to solenoid, solenoid to fuse, and fuse to alternator. I didn't think to take a very good picture of the solenoid to show all the wiring the was run.


I also tucked the rear tail light wires under the lip of the trunk. I connected the rear lights and even hooked up the ground from the battery post> motor> frame> dash> trunk floor.


My dad was spending his time working on bending the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, but the oil pressure sending unit was in the way of the power steering pump and that took priority in correcting. He ended up going to the parts store to buy a thread tap to cut new threads in the extender from the block in order to simply run the new oil pressure gauge straight from there instead of off the new "street T" fitting that I installed. Once that was taken care of, he was able to get back to the fuel line. I didn't think to get a good picture of that either, but it is in the picture below.
 

Once all the wires were hooked up, I was able to test the running lights from the dash switch to make sure they worked. I made sure to test the blinkers and when I did they didn't work. The first thing I checked as the blinker relay by installing a new one under the dash. I tried a second time and they worked just fine in the front and in the back. The dash indicator also worked for both left and right.


It's hard to tell in the picture, but these are the running lights. It was midday when I took he picture so they weren't too bright.


The reverse lights work quite nicely and the end caps came out great since they were repainted.


I tested the headlights and the right side low beam didn't work although the brights worked on both sides. I didn't take the time to check whether it was a wiring issue or a headlight issue so I'll check that tomorrow. These were the original headlights so its quite possible that the light is bad. I'm pretty sure I have additional headlights in the garage so I'll switch out the potentially bad one.


I was also able to add the rearend gear oil in the differential and also added the transmission fluid in the top fill hole. Since this is a World Class T5, it takes automatic transmission fluid rather than gear oil. I thought it was supposed to take five quarts, but it only took about 3.5 before it started pouring out of the top. We also added the power steering fluid although it will take a lot more once we start the car and turn the wheel to get the fluid flowing.

The plan is to head over to my parents house tomorrow after I get out of my children's ministry meeting at 3:30pm to try and get it started. My dad went to pick up a can of gasoline, a water pump bolt and a couple of other things which are necessary to get it started. I'm really hoping that we get it started tomorrow...I'll post a video if we attempt to start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment