Monday, January 2, 2012

Interior Installation Part I


Today as a great day to get started on installing the interior of the Mustang since Lauren was working and I was off due to New Years Day being celebrated on Monday the 2nd. I had expansive fifteen item list of things that I wanted to get done today which was very ambitious, but motivating nonetheless. These were the things that I was able to accomplish with some help from by older brother and dad:

  1. Paint gas tank
  2. install gas tank
  3. Modify filler neck and install
  4. Install gauges
  5. Install carpet
  6. Mount seat hardware
  7. Install center console
  8. Install front seats
  9. Install side windows
  10. Clean/install brake light housing

The things that I didn't get completed were to upholster the quarter trim panels, clean the drip rail, install the drip rail molding, install the rear view mirror, and install the trunk latch. I'll get to the rest when I have the time.

I started with painting the gas tank since I wanted it to dry before I installed it. My dad had sprayed some etching primer on it a few days prior and I was able to wipe it down and then spray it black. This is no ordinary 16 gallon tank for a 1966 Mustang, its a 22 gallon tank from a 1970 Mustang and it fit like a glove in the existing hole. I used some seam sealer around the edge to give it a water tight seal. I had to cut about 1.25" of of the bottom of the 65/66 filler neck in order for it to properly fit with the taller gas tank.

1970 22-Gallon Gas Tank

Next on the daily agenda was to install the gauges. I was smart when I took them out and I used some masking tape to wrap each wire and then wrote what it was for. The only problem was that over the course of the past 2 years the writing faded and I couldn't read what the wires were for. I referred to my own BLOG with the wiring diagrams in order to complete the re-installation. 



As you can see this picture also shows the carpet installed along with the center console and shifter, but I didn't stop to take a picture of the car with only the gauges installed; I was on a mission. The only thing I didn't like about installing the carpet was that I had to cut the hold for the shifter. I assumed that since this carpet was made for this car that it would have the hole cut out. I still need to install the glove box, pedal covers, steering wheel, dash pad, parking brake handle, but that will happen soon enough. The dash pad is on its way and should be delivered sometime this week. Another tough part about the carpet was finding the screw holes for the center console. I used a screwdriver like pointed object to prod until I found the holes.

The seat tracks weren't too hard to install, but I did have to use a thread tap to clean out the threads in the seat frame because they got clogged up with Por-15. Once I had the hardware on, I used the same prod that I used to find the center console holes to find the seat holes and then used a 1/2" drill bit to drill holes through the carpet so that the seat could slip right into the holes in the floorboard. I still don't have the side trim installed on the seats, but I did order it and will install it in a week or so.

White TMI Sport Seat w/ Headrest
 
My brother helped me out with cleaning and installing the rear tail light housings. He also installed the lens and chrome bezel that I cleaned about 7 months ago.


The project of putting together the wing windows and installing them along with the side windows was my dad's and brother's. I didn't have any part of that project today as I was busy with the interior and gas tank. They also installed the window felts (a.k.a beltline weatherstrip.) The windows still need a little adjustment, but we'll get around to that once I get the roof rail weatherstrip installed.



I've yet to install the roof rail molding, but I'll get to that once I've stripped some of the paint off the rail. There is way too much primer and paint built up on the rail to get the tight fitting molding onto it.

Here is a picture that shows both seats installed. By the time I was done with both seats it was mostly dark outside. At least the days are starting to get longer now. The door panels are on back order from CJ Pony Parts so I'll have those in 2-3 weeks. I'll install the backseat once I have the upholstery on the rear quarter panels.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! It's coming together really quick and looking good!

    ReplyDelete