Saturday, January 14, 2012

Door Weatherstrip, Trunk Sound Deadner

Lauren had a few things to do around the house today so I had about five hours to work on the Mustang. I did a lot of "non-essential" things meaning that they don't have to be done to actually drive the car. I wanted to clean and paint the dome light holder for the past couple of weeks so I sprayed it with grey metal etching primer and then shot it with "chrome" paint. My thinking was that the reflectiveness of the surface would help light up the interior.


Before I install the exhaust I wanted to put sound deadner in the trunk area to help keep down the vibration and drone sound. I had to sand down the area and clean it with a solvent. I didn't cover the entire trunk area since I'm told that you only need to cover between 30-50% of the surface area.
 

I had covered the tail panel last week but neglected to take any pictures in the dark.


I had to mask off and repaint the area behind the export brace because it got blue paint on it and the paint line was lower than the weatherstrip which made for an odd look. I still need to clean up the polishing compound under the hood and on the hinge.

 
I decided to just use the mounting hardware that came with the fans rather than try to fabricate my own. It came with plastic rods that slide through the radiator and clasp onto the other side. I still need to hook up the electrical so that they actually turn on when the water heats up.


Petey decided that he wanted to be in the car with me during the next and final task for the day which was to install the door weatherstrip.


I used 3M super weatherstrip adhesive which is a yellow color. I wasn't a fan of the yellow color because it doesn't blend as well if you get some on a visible area. I applied a coat onto the door as well as on the weatherstrip and let it set a little. The install would have gone a lot smoother if I had another set of hands to hold the weatherstrip after it had the glue on it.



I decided to buy most of the remaining parts for the car rather than having the exhaust installed. I bought both bumpers along with a list of other odds and ends. I hoping to have all of the parts I've ordered in the past couple of weeks at my door by the end of next week. The last thing I'll need to buy will be a new heater box. I'll have the exhaust hung after my next overtime check in a month or so. I can drive around with open headers for a while...it won't hurt anyone right?

1 comment:

  1. Open headers! I love it. I drove my 29' Ford hot rod around the neighborhood with open long tube headers after I got it running. Everyone gave me a thumbs up (except the county deputy who lived on the street behind me.) You've got to be excited to be closing in on that first drive. Excellent progress!

    ReplyDelete