Saturday, December 31, 2011

Window Trim, Shifter & Hood Latch

I got off of work two hours early this Friday with pay due to the slowness associated with the end of the year so I went to work on the Mustang for a few hours before Lauren got off. I stopped by Larry's Mustang in Corona to pick up a shifter boot first since I need to install it before I can put in the carpet. I wanted to have more of an original look so I bought a 69-70 Mustang Hurst shift boot. It was a few inches longer than the 65-66 boot so I had to drill new holes in it to fit. Since the console is going to cover the boot, the extra holes won't be seen. Just as a reminder, here are the details of the Hurst shifter:

 Part number                            5388022
Shifter Stick Length (in)
12.000 in.
Shifter Stick Layback (in)
7.500 in.
Shifter Stick Offset (in)
2.000 in.
Shifter Stick Ball Thread Size
3/8-16 in.


I also installed the window trim on the front and rear glass. It didn't go in perfectly and I put a few dents in it, but nothing is perfect right? The trim still looks great.




Calvin has been helping with reinstalling the rear quarter windows since he was the one to pull them out a few months back. I'll still need to buy the weatherstrip that goes between the rear quarter window and the front window. I already have the window felts to install.


With the hood latch adjuster, I simply stripped it down to metal and coated it with clear rather than painting it. I'll probably do the same thing for the trunk latch as well. I also installed the hood bumpers that mount onto the radiator support and adjusted them so that the hood locks tightly and doesn't rattle.


Later that night I worked on creating a solution for reinstalling the wing/vent window glass into the recently re-chromed window frames since there really isn't a weatherstripping that is sold to fit it. Larry's Mustang gave me a channel run trim for a 55-56 T-Bird which I cut to in order to create a tight fit for the glass. Once the wing/vent windows and side windows are installed I can put in the carpet and seats.


No comments:

Post a Comment