Sunday, December 25, 2011

Putting the Front End Together


Although today was the day before Christmas, Lauren still had to work so I went over to my parents to work on the Mustang. My goal was to get it out of their driveway before the end of the year and I'll be close to meeting that goal although it will likely be there for a little bit past the new year.
Today I spent some more time going back over the car with some 3M rubbing compound and a finishing polish called Finesse. The car is even more glossy now than it was before! I also went over the majority of it with a coat of wax to protect its lovely new finish. I'll have to finish up the rest of it on Monday.

I also took the time to put on the lower grille support, grill, headlights, and front fender extensions. The car looks much more complete now. I still don't have the bumpers so I wasn't able to put them on.

I also put in the firewall heat shield that was left over from the portion that was used for the headliner. I had to do some measuring and cutting in order for it to fit in as one whole piece since the steering column and pedal support were in the way. It fit in quite nicely.


The plan now is to install the headliner and the front/rear glass on Monday only to leave the side windows to install before I can put in the carpet, gauges and seats. Mustang Monthly did a good article on installing a headliner which can be viewed HERE. Once that is done. I'll pretty much be able to drive it if the need should arise. I'll still need to have mufflers and pipe installed and I'll need to install the 22-gallon gas tank, but it's just about there. I'll have another "on-call" checking coming my way in about a month or so which will cover the exhaust as well as some other parts (maybe the bumpers, reverse lights and turn signals.)

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic blog, I read through the whole blog and learned some great things. Thanks for posting all that you did. I am restoring a 65 coupe mustang. Could you tell me the specific names of the products you used to prime your mustang? Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete