Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cut Springs & Window Regulator

Since the front of the car still sat too high despite the Shelby/Arning drop and the 1" lowering springs and after reading some posts on vintage-mustang.com I decided to cut about 2/3 of a coil (about 10.5") off of each side. I marked the coil at 1/2 and 3/4 and split the difference. A full coil measured at roughly 17" which puts the cut at 61.7% of a full coil.


This was a picture of the front end before I got started. This was after the alignment was done as best as it could have been done. The gap between the highest point of the tire and the bottom fender lip in the picture below is roughly 2.5".


This is a picture after I cut 10.5" of the coil off and put the car back together and then drove it to settle the suspension. The gap between the highest point of the tire and the bottom of the fender lip is now 1". I think its important to note that the tires are set in enough so that they don't touch the fender and the fender lips are rolled at the top anyways. The suspension could possibly settle another 1/2" or so.


'66 Mustang




I also had the opportunity to remove the old regulator and install the new Scott Drake one that I bought from CJ Pony. I removed about eight bolts and took out the entire assembly (regulator and scissors) in order to install the new one. The regulator is held onto the scissors with a small metal spring clip. I made sure to put a lot of grease on the pivot points and the regulator spring.


The window now rolls all of the way to the top and the gaps are great. There is almost no gap between the rear quarter window and the front window.



1 comment:

  1. my son is currently working on his which looks much like this one. I am happy I found your blog here.

    ReplyDelete