Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Plates and Alignment

I spend about 2.5 hours in line at the DMV yesterday after work just to pick up my personalized California license plates for the 'Stang. They gave me a new 2013 registration sticker but failed to give me a new month sticker so now I need to make another trip to get my sticker. The plates look awesome mostly since they're brand new and shiny. 

I picked up my car from the alignment shop although my buddy said that there wasn't much he could do for it in its current state although he got it within speck. It currently has .5 degree camber on the driver's side and -.5 degree camber on the passenger side with no shims. ideally the tires will sit with anywhere from -2 to -3 degrees camber, but with the current height of the front end, the tires are allowed to tilt in. My next step is to rent a spring compressor and pull out the front coils so that I can cut off about 1/4 coil on each side. I plan on doing that this afternoon. 

I also need to lubricate the speedometer in the gauge cluster because it is awfully loud when I drive. My hope is that takes care of it and that I don't need to do anything else...a little graphite should handle it.

2 comments:

  1. Might I suggest you check the speedo cable first. I know when I put one in my Model A hot rod it made noise that sounded like it was coming from the speedo, but it was the cable. I took the gear off the trans end and pulled the cable out of the sleeve. Then I pushed it back in adding lithium grease. It took care of the noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brand new cable, but I'll certainly give that a shot. I was reading on VMF that others had added graphite to the trans end of the cable. I'm definitely going to cut the springs today and I'll see if I can get to the speedo. Thanks Dennis!

      Delete