Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gauge Lights and Wiring

I had run all of the necessary wiring for the tripod gauge lights, but still had to hook up the hot wire to the dimmer switch so that the lights only came on when the headlight switch was pulled. I pulled the gauges out of the dash to get a better look inside the dash in order to do that. I found a wire off of the switch that controlled the gauge lights so I spliced into it without completely severing the wire. The manual gauges now light up along with the others.

I also had to patch in a new section of wire for the fuel sending unit under the car because the existing wire was broken. I used some wire shrink tube around it for more protection, but I won't know if the gauge works until I dump some gasoline into the tank.

I finally hooked up the manual override switch for the electric fans that cool the radiator. I had run the wire months ago when I installed the wiring harness, but had yet to install an actual switch. The switch is under the dash by the driver's door and is only functional when the key is turned. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't able to accidentally turn on the switch when getting out of the car and have the fans drain the battery. The green wire that comes off of the harness is a ground wire so I had to hook up a hot lead wire off of the accessory key position. 



I also ran some wire encasing under the hood on the wire that controls the fans from the thermostat, the nylon line that controls the manual oil pressure gauge, and the tubing that controls the manual water temperature gauge. I wanted to keep those wires protected from any heat that may come from the headers since they are in somewhat close proximity to them.

My older brother was able to install the rear bumper guards which I had polished when I was living in Anaheim Hills. 

Would you believe that I didn't take any pictures of anything while I was there? The next time I'm over which will likely be on Saturday afternoon, I'll get some pictures of what has been done. As you get closer to the end, there isn't as much "major" progress so it doesn't feel like as much was accomplished although every little thing counts at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment