Friday, February 10, 2012

Headlight Switch, Brake light switch and Driver door panel

I had a chance to work on the Mustang for a little while because Lauren was hosting a tanning party at our house for Valentine's Day. I started with the headlight switch because it's obvious that it is going bad so I went down to the local part store and purchased a new one. While was there I also decided purchased a brake light switch. Installing the switches didn't take too long. After I installed the headlight switch I tested the dimmer to make sure that the gauge back-lights didn't turn off as I dimmed them. It looks like the new switch solved my problems. Unfortunately the brake lights still don't work and after spending some time diagnosing the issue I found that the problem is the turn signal switch. When I traced the power to see where it is failing, I can see that power is being sent from the brake light switch to the turn signal switch, but then isn't leaving the turn signal switch and going to the brake lights. My dad ordered a new turn signal switch and it should come in tomorrow.

The driver side window rolled up fine so I went ahead and installed the door panel tonight. I also installed the door handle, the window crank, and the armrest base. Before I put on the door panel on I cut a piece of thick plastic that fit the behind the door panel and used some "liquid nails" to hold it on. This will keep out moisture and slightly help with road noise.

'65 Mustang White Door Panel
I had gone down to the DMV to get the car registered so that I can drive it down to the exhaust shop, but I was informed that if I wanted to register it before February 23rd, I would have to pay two years worth of registration since the 22nd is my registration renewal date. It doesn't make sense to pay for an extra year to have the ability to drive the car for an extra 10 days so I am deferring it until Wednesday next week. In the mean time I'll have the insurance company come out to take a look at the car so that I can get it insured before I drive it around to have the exhaust and alignment finished.

As far as exhaust goes, I plan on doing the following:
  • Patriot Mid-length headers (done)
  • 2.5" X-pipe over the axles but dumping right before the rear valance
  • Dual Dynomax Ultraflow (welded) mufflers
I've had glasspacks and I've had 2-chamber Flowmasters and I'm ready for something different. I was looking for more of a "throaty" sound and after listening to a lot of exhaust video clips I've decided to go with the Dynomax. The exhaust work will probably be completed within the next couple of weeks.

I've also ordered the heater box, heater core, new passenger widow regulator and a few other miscellaneous parts which should arrive on or around Thursday. this project is beginning to wrap up after over 2 1/2 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment