Monday, February 6, 2012

New Solenoid, Glued Carpet, Roof Rail Weatherstrip

With Lauren having to work again on Sunday, I had the opportunity to work on the Mustang for a second day even if it was only for part of the day. I swung by Kragen/O'Riley to pick up a new starter solenoid and the only one they had was the lifetime guarantee version (which I was glad to pay a little extra for) except the way it was setup was completely different from the original one. This meant that I had to extend and modify wires to reach the new solenoid.


I also had the opportunity to install the roof rail weatherstrip, but before I could do that I had to drill out the screw that mounts into the door frame that hold down the weatherstrip. On both sides of the car the screw was rusted in and I was unable to get it out so we drilled it and used a punch to knock it through. Although the weatherstrip rests in the molding, glue is still needed to hold the weatherstrip in place. I started by fitting it into the rail molding and then pulled back a section at a time to put in the weatherstrip adhesive. 


I also had the opportunity to glue in the carpet along the sill plate since it wasn't fitting snugly. Before I could glue, I had to trim the carpet back so that it wasn't rolling over the edge of the sill plate. The amount trimmed will vary depending on way the carpet is cut from the manufacturer. Once it was trimmed, I sprayed some 3M "Super Trim Adhesive" to the back of the carpet and to the surface that it would be stuck to and then used clamps and paint stir sticks  to hold own the carpet while the glue dried.


The last thing I was able to do was put in the kick panels and the windlace along both roof rails of the car. Unfortunately they don't provide enough with one order to go along the rear quarter panel so I'll have to place another order.



No comments:

Post a Comment