Monday, October 10, 2011

Body Work Day ?

Since its Monday I had the opportunity to work on the Mustang while Lauren had her women's bible study. Since I'm still doing body work before we paint it, I feel like I'm making little to no progress. It seems like it takes forever or that I'm re-doing the same old sections over again because they didn't turn out right the first time. Its definitely the slowest and most painful part of this restoration.

I only took two pictures the entire time I was there and of course they were at night so there's not a lot to see. I sanded down the dash and sprayed it with a thin-medium coat of metal etching primer to get it ready for a coat of regular primer.

 I did a lot of body work on the passenger's side door and fender. I also used the metal etching primer on bare spots around the car as well as underneath the hood since the primer flaked off in big sections again. All metal parts of the car are now primered. My dad helped me out with the roof of the car since it was still wavy and I couldn't seem to get a good skim coat. He sanded it down a lot to see where it was and there are still a couple of high spots that will probably require some more stern "persuasion" to correct.


My dad brought home the wing windows and quarter windows from the chrome shop and they look great except for the stainless steel strip that goes around the wing window glass which has a little tiny piece of chrome on it that the shop only stripped down to brass. They said that they couldn't chrome it since it is surrounded with stainless steel. I'm going to have to either shoot a coat of clear on it or paint it chrome since it will tarnish if I don't do anything.

Part of the Wing Window

I'm excited to get the car painted so that I can start putting together all of the new shiny parts back on it. I also purchased a 1" front sway bar and am going to order the front tires this week. Our updated goal is to have it painted by the end of October. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment