Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sanding the 4th Coat of Primer

Part I

I spent a good five hours sanding the Mustang this afternoon/evening along with my brother and my dad. We just about finished sanding everything. The only parts I have left to sand are the front valance,  stone guard and one of the doors. 

I also filled the edges of the trunk lid and the are above the tail light panel with seam sealer. I also used some JB weld to fix the headlight buckets since both sides were broken at the bend. We'll see how well it holds up once they're installed  in the car.



Part II

I went back over the next day (Tuesday) after work to continue sanding the car, but this time I was using 400 grit paper instead of 320 grit. My older brother helped me when I got there and spent a lot of his time working on the roof of the car. As you can see below, it is so smooth that it actually shows a reflection:



Every time my dad has stopped by the chrome shop to pick up my stainless steel windshield molding, they have been closed. When he stopped by today they were actually open so he was able to finally pick the straightened and polished pieces up. They are wrapped up in plastic and I plan on keeping them that way until I put them on the car in a month or so after it's painted and color sanded.



I had my family hard at work wet sanding what I imagine will be the last coat of primer that we shoot on the car. After my brother finished the roof, he moved to the hood.



My dad spent his time focusing on the doors once he got home from a long days work. He's been a big help on the car and has put in way more hours than he needs to so I'm very grateful.



If you recall from previous posts, we've been searching for the old car keys in order to remove the ignition switch and bezel before painting the dash. While I was searching for the door plugs I stumbled across both the keys and the trunk lock which were in a bag labeled "Right Rear Window". Needless to say I was quite pleased and immediately went to work at removing the switch and bezel. It didn't take much effort once you know to turn the key to the Accessories position (counterclockwise) and use a paperclip to release the switch. I found an article on Average Joe's website that helped.


1 comment:

  1. You are very fortunate to have family who are willing and able to work on the car. It's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete