Saturday, October 15, 2011

More Body Work...

If I'm being honest, body work sucks. Depending on the shape of the body, it can be the most time consuming part of any restoration. Unfortunately for me the body wasn't in very good shape and I'm spending a lot of time trying to get it ready for paint this month. I had from about 10-2:45 today to work on the Mustang so I took advantage of the opportunity. I was kind of all over the place with body work since there aren't a lot of major sections to work on, but there are a lot of little sections to work on. I didn't do anything with the hood today, but I don't think I had a current picture after I did the last of the body filler work a week ago.


The trunk lid is one of the last major sections that need a lot of attention before paint. The section below was majorly smashed and in need of straightening and body work. I made one big pass with the Evercoat metal body filler and after sanding it with a file sander I saw some low spots so I went over them with the regular pink Bondo. This allowed me to have some contrast between the two so that I could see what I was working with. There are still a few low spots that will need another pass.


Using the Evercoat body filler, I made a a pass along the passenger side rocker panel rail because I found a dent. I used the file sander to go across it and later touched up the bare metal with etching primer.


After blocking out the rear passenger quarter, I found a few low spots as mentioned in my last entry. Today I went over those low spots and did some more blocking. I still need to do a little more blocking before the next coat of primer.


The driver's side rocker panel rail was heavily damaged in the rear and needed to be brought up about a 1/4 inch in one spot so I have been making several passes with the Bondo over the past month or so. Today I went across it with the file sander and it appears to be looking pretty good.


Below is the bottom front of the passenger side fender. It just didn't look right as it rolled down so I skinned it with a coat of Evercoat body filler.


I didn't do much with the roof today because that is my dad's territory. It is just too large of an area for me to work on as a semi-beginner. I did find a couple of low spots that needed to be flushed so I did just that. The front of the roof has a few high spots still so I'm going to let me dad handle those.


I'm hoping to shoot it with its first coat of high build primer on Monday afternoon/evening. We'll see if it works out or not--I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've got a lot to do in a short amount of visits if I want to paint it before the end of October.

No comments:

Post a Comment