Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fourth Coat of Primer- Feather Fill


I believe yesterday marked the fourth and final full coat of primer that the Mustang will see before paint. The car was pretty well sanded before I arrived to work on it Saturday morning, but my older brother and I did spend a couple of hours going back over it to find spots that needed a little more attention and also prepping it to receive another coat. This time we opened up the car cover the usually houses my mom's Cadillac CTS and set it up to hold the fenders, trunk lid and all of the other odd and end parts. I also spent the first part of the morning filling the drip rail seams and door jam seams with seam sealer.

Drip Rail Seam Before

Drip Rail Seam Sealed

Drip Rail Seam Sealed and Primered

Door Jam Sealed


I had to start cleaning up to leave by 1pm and to boot I had to change my wife's oil and rotate her tires in between prepping the car for primer. I'll save you the anxiety and just tell you now that I was able to get it all done in between the hours of 9am-1pm. We shot everything on the car including the interior and it came out looking fantastic.













The next step will be to wet sand the entire car to get it ready for paint. We bought a two stage Seaside Blue Metallic that will be shot on the car, but also have about 1/2 a gallon of single stage Seaside Blue Metallic that we will probably shoot the interior with as well as the jams before putting the car back together. Once it's together, we can shoot the entire outside of the car at one time. The process will go a little more smoothly if we do things that way. Once it's painted we'll wait for the paint to cure and then proceed to color sand and polish the car before installing the headliner and front/rear glass. Everything else will follow after that. Stainless trim, door handles, sound deadener, gauges, etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment