Monday, November 7, 2011

Minor Adjustments

This afternoon/evening was a time to work on the minor adjustments that needed to be done before the car gets painted. The first thing I did was find a nut and bolt that could be used to secure the underside of the driver's side fender since the nut that should have been there was missing. After a little bit of searching, I found a combo that was suitable for my needs. I cleaned up the bolt so that it had a nice layer of metal showing and did the same for the underside of the car's frame. Using he welder, I welded the nut into place and was able to secure the lower half of the fender.

After I got the lower bolt secure, I was able to start adjusting the hood. I was having some problems with it on Saturday when I was trying to line it up. It appeared that the driver's side gap between the fender and hood didn't exist. The hood was actually sitting slightly over the fender while the gap on the other side was about 1". I had to tweak the hood while all four hood bolts were loose and then I had to adjust both fenders to get the best looking gap possible. Although it was dark, I took a few pictures to show the gap now.




My brother was also kind enough to swing by and pick up some new shock tower mount bolts (3 per side= 6 total) since mine weren't completely secure and I was missing one of the nuts. We changed them in about 30 minutes and now I knew the shock tower is secure and it looks cleaner.


I also sprayed some metal etching primer on the trunk lid since the primary area that was showing was the surface rusted areas that were sprayed with Metal Prep on Sunday morning. The next step will be to shoot a regular coat of primer to see where the hood is and to proceed with any more necessary body work. I did have to put a skim coat of Bondo on the driver's side fender since there was a small dent towards the front that I hadn't noticed before. I did the same thing on the inside of the passenger's side door since I noticed a dent about the same size after it received a coat of paint. Having cold weather here in southern California has allowed me to slow down a little and take some time to work on some of the tedious parts of this restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment