Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Second Coat of Clear, Wet Sanding & Sound Deadner (Part I)


The Car received its second coat of clear on Monday since I had the time to wet sand it on Sunday. We sould have sprayed it on Sunday afternoon, but the wind was kicking up again and we didn't want to be put in the same situation a second time--fool me once (wind), shame on you; fool me twice (wind), shame on me.Although I was working on Monday morning, my brother was kind enough to take a few pictures for me after the car was painted.

 




I went over to my parents house on Tuesday right after work to begin installing the sound deadener that I bought from Second Skin and found that my brother had already wet sanded most of the car's exterior with 1200 grit paper. That saved me a ton of work!


Since I didn't have to start wet sanding the car, I got right to work on installing the sound deadener on the inside of the doors as well as the roof of the car. After reading some posts on VMF about how much sound deadener to use, I realized that I didn't have to completely cover the panels to stop the panel vibration which causes interior noise. I'm holding off of installing the sound deadener on the firewall and floor until after the car has been polished.





I'm also going to install the heat shield on top of the sound deadener, but under the headliner. I'll do that once I'm just about ready to install the headliner/glass so that the heat shield material isn't out in the elements too much.It just glues to the roof...noting too complicated.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I've always felt that when the car is in paint, it's the turnaround point of the restoration. The pieces start going together instead of apart. The transformation is underway. Excellent work by you, your brother, and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's pretty awesome, you guys are doing a great job! It looks like it's coming along fantastically! Have you guys had the opportunity to test out how well the sound deadener is working yet? I'm interested in seeing how well it's turned out.

    ReplyDelete