Sunday, November 6, 2011

Putting the Puzzle Back Together (Part II)

When we put the trunk lid back on the 'Stang, we realized that it didn't line up very well and in the course of bending certain areas, the Bondo cracked. Instead of trying to fix it, I found an original trunk lid on Craigslist for $50 that was located only about ten minutes from my house. It's condition was very good and only needed a little body work due to small dents. It also had a little surface rust that I knew would be cured with my Por-15 metal prep. I sealed the edges of the bottom side of the trunk  with some caulking and let it sit in the sun to dry. I did the same thing with the drip rails since the seam sealer is still setting and its been damaged in a few areas from sanding. 



I also spent a few hours sanding the car in preparation for its final coat of paint which will likely be sprayed in the next couple off weeks. My goal was to have it painted by this Saturday, but that didn't work out since there was the complication with the trunk lid. The car is fully sanded and ready for paint with the exception of the new/old trunk lid as it still needs to be sprayed with self-etching primer and then a coat of regular primer. I've already sprayed it with the metal prep to convert the surface rust.


I put the front end of the car on (front valance, upper stone deflector, headlight buckets, lower grille support) after digging through the garage to find some body clips and body bolts to do it. I also mounted the bumper mounting brackets, but I had to use the impact gun since the bolts were very stubborn going on. The rear valance still needs to be mounted on the car, but I have to find some mounting hardware for it first.


As you can see from the picture above, the hood isn't on the car. We had to take it off because it isn't lining up well at all. I think that when I attempted to close it for the first time after mounting the hood on the hinges for the first time in about two years I bent one or both of the hinges. My dad has been trying to fix the hinges, but so far he's had no luck in getting the hood to line up correctly. The hood slightly hangs over the driver's side fender which of course leaves a bigger gap on the passenger side. That part is a work in progress.

I ordered the TMI sport seat upholstery (pony) along with the headrest kit and seat foams. I also ordered the carpet which means that once the car is painted and color sanded, I can install the headliner, front/back glass, side/wing/quarter windows, carpet, and front/back seats. I'll also be able to put on the tires and rims. The car will nearly be complete. Of course I still have the mufflers and pipe to install which will set me back around $400 not to mention the bumpers, dash and a few other items. The car is coming along nicely, but this cold/rainy weather has put a temporary hold on the paint. Bummer.

1 comment:

  1. Better to find the cracked bondo before than after the paint job. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete