Friday, November 18, 2011

Still Upholstering- UPDATED

I've been spending time here and there throughout the week to work on the upholstery. It's been a great learning experience and I'm glad I tried it. I walk talking with a guy in my small group that owns a muscle car shop and he said that when they have the upholstery done with a kit, it is usually taken apart and redone because they never quite fit right .I can see what he's talking about! The seams don't always seem to line up like they should. Everything is coming along quite nicely though. I've just about finished the driver's seat. I only need to but the top and bottom together and  install the headrest as the mount itself has already been bolted to the frame


I really like the detail of the "pony" interior package. I'm glad that the chrome piece in the middle of the seat isn't a chrome looking sticker, but instead is actual metal.

Once the headrest is mounted to the seat the only other thing I'll have to do is the rear seat which I hear is much easier than the front seats.I bought a sheet of foam to make sure that the seat is filled out although I'll still be using the original padding as well.. I'll probably get to it this weekend or sometime during the week next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for paint sometime in the next week or so.

UPDATE 11-19-2011


I've got both front seats fully upholstered. The only thing that is left for the two fronts is to put on the side "hockey sticks" and seat rails underneath.

BEFORE


AFTER


UPDATE 11-22-2011


I've started an finished the rear seats! I used the original padding, but I also added a little extra in order to fill out the seats so that the upholstery pulled tight. I added about 1" of foam underneath the original padding. I used a few hog rings to make sure that the foam doesn't shift around. It looks pretty good when you compare it to what it looked like before.


BEFORE


AFTER

1 comment:

  1. Looks really nice and probably is better than factory. I'll be interested to see how you do the back seat since I have foam to replace in my rear fastback seat that isn't being repopped by any vendors.

    ReplyDelete