Wednesday, November 9, 2011

New (to me) Trunk Lid Primered

I had about three hours to work on the 'Stang yesterday afternoon before heading off to mens group so I took advantage of it since I don't know when I'll get to work on it next. The first thing I wanted to do was mount the rear valance on the car. I didn't have the mounting bolts so I did some searching in the sea of bolts that are contained in the garage and found a couple of similar bolts with the flat head and squared base. I had to notch the mounting hardware on the valance for the bolt to fit since the square base was slightly larger. I decided to welt the bolt onto the valance mount since it's not going anywhere anyways. The repo valance actually fit pretty well without hardly any tweaking.


Once the rear valance was done I was able to focus my attention on the trunk that I bought from a guy on Craigslist last week. I found another small low spot right around the middle of the lid so I used the z-grip body filler to take care or it. I used some 320 grit sandpaper to wet sand it to try and get a somewhat smooth surface for primer. My dad decided to shoot some primer on it since I had it in fairly decent shape. We started with the underside and shot a few coats on it.


Once the bottom was fairly dry, we use bolts to keep the lid from touching the horses and then painted the top. I could see a few small imperfections that needed to be addressed, but it was largely in great shape after my first pass of body filler. 


My brother also spent some time removing the steering wheel as we get closer to painting the car. Its better to paint with it off than with it on. I won't be reusing the original steering wheel anyways, but its nice to have it off now.

1 comment: