Wednesday, April 6, 2011

1969 Battery Tray


My plan is to replace the old 17" stock radiator with a 24" 3-row aluminum radiator for better cooling. My first Mustang always ran hot even on semi-cool nights when in traffic. I think the hottest I ever ran was near 240 degrees. I'm not sure if it was just the motor that would tend to run hot or if it was because it had a stock radiator. Since I have to buy a new radiator anyways, I figured that I would get the most cool for my buck and spend an extra $70 on a 7" wider, aluminum radiator.

1969 Mustang/Cougar Battery Tray w/ Hold-Down Parts

In order to accommodate the wider radiator I will need to use a shorter battery tray. The stock 1965-66 trays are much longer and the frame of the 65-66 in is 2 inches narrower. I will have to use the tray from the 1969 Mustang and weld on the support bracket from my 1966 Mustang tray. Of course I'll need to buy a battery that fits a 1967-70 Mustang since the '65 battery will be far too long to fit into my modified tray.

The wider radiator idea has been done by many Mustang enthusiasts including Mustang Steve. Here are some of the links to those projects:

Mustang Steve
'Falchion' on TheMustangSource.com




No comments:

Post a Comment