Sunday, April 17, 2011

Starter, Alternator, PS Pump, Battery Tray


Yesterday I was able to get a few things done on the Mustang. Of course there was still more that I wanted to get done, but there wasn't enough time. The other day when I was over I painted the starter black so it wasn't the raw anodized metal color anymore.


High Torque Mini Starter Painted

When I arrived, the first thing I did was install the newly painted starter. It seemed to fit like a glove although I had read some horror stories from others on Mustang forums that their starters didn't fit. I wired it up to the starter solenoid later in the afternoon. The wire hanging is the "switched" side that gets hot when the ignition key is bumped to the start position. Another cable went to the starter that is from the "battery" side of the solenoid which is always hot, but it still requires the bump of the ignition to start it because the newer mini starter has it's own solenoid built into it.

Installed High Torque Mini Starter

Installing the 3G alternator and power steering pump was exciting because it helps the motor look dressed and complete. I should be picking up the correct 3-bolt harmonic balancer from an Ebay seller in Placentia/Yorba Linda to replace the 4-bolt balancer currently installed. I discovered that although the balancer I am using has the correct 28oz balance, it only accepts crank pulleys with a 4-bolt pattern which were not found on 65-66 Mustangs.

302 with PS Pump and 3G Alt Installed

My dad had the idea to add a ground post that we can use to hook up our grounds to off of the frame. He also wants to run one into the trunk that ties into the one you see in the picture below which is next to the alternator. I used an existing hole in the body to run the bolt, but removed all paint on the surface around the hole before installing the bolt. I used two large washers (one on each side of the frame) and then a nut to hold it all together.
Extra Ground Post

I welded my 1966 support arm to the base of a 1969 Mustang/Cougar battery tray, painted it and then bolted it in the car. This will allow for the extra wide 24" radiator that will go in the car in the upcoming months.
1969 Battery Tray with '66 Support

No comments:

Post a Comment