Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wired


I recently spent some time figuring out where each wire off of the firewall was supposed to go on the motor by using multiple different diagrams. Not all wires off of the firewall can be found on one wiring diagram since each wire is used for a different function (i.e. exterior lights, ignition system, interior lights, etc, etc.) Once I had my list I began either labeling wires or connecting them where they needed to go. Some wires (like the oil pressure sending unit wire) aren't ready to be hooked up and were simply routed where they needed to be and then labeled. Once all wires were routed, I taped them together using electrical tape and then used wire loom wrap to finish them off.

1966 Mustang Engine Compartment

I still need to use the loom ties to fasten the loom to the engine compartment wall all the way around the engine bay. I'm waiting until I've wired in the new relays for the headlights and the electric fan water temp relays before putting that finishing touch on the engine compartment.


My dad picked up a 7" 3/8 bolt for the power steering pump to mount into the passenger side head. He was only able to find a 5 grade bolt and is in the process of looking for an 8 grade bolt. I need to pick up a 3 1/2" bolt and a 5 1/2" bolt for the water pump still, but I was able to at least mount the power steering pump for the time being. I'll swap out the correct bolts once I have them and I'll then tighten the power steering belt. I had to space the mounting bracket about 1" off of the motor in order to make the pulley align with the pulleys. It would appear that the '70 bracket is going to work just fine.

1966 Mustang with '70 Power Steering Bracket

I used a stock piece of the loom which I believe to have been previously used for the windshield wiper fluid pump to instead wire up the reverse lights. I pulled the existing reverse switch off of the stock 3-speed that had previously been used in this car and plugged the wiring harness (2 wires) directly into the existing loom and routed it under the car through the hole used for the previous harness. The reverse light wires are black with a red stripe and should already be near the hole on the top of the transmission tunnel. I used a rubber body plug to act as a sealer for the wires to run through in order to prevent water from entering from under the car.

T5 with Reverse Lights Hooked up on 1966 Mustang

The main power wire that runs through the headlight loom to the alternator had previously shorted out and was completely melted all the way up until the firewall; the gray wire with a yellow stripe. I pulled it out of the loom and replaced it with 10 gauge blackish-gray wire. I drilled a slightly larger hole in the rubber connector that plugs into the firewall to accommodate  a new female plug. I ran the new 10-gauge wire all the way through the rubber plug so that I could attach the new plug onto the end of the wire. Once crimped, I used the torch to slightly melt the plastic around the new plug onto the wire. After letting it cool, I pushed the new wire back through the rubber connector so that it looked like part of the existing loom.
 

1966 Mustang Headlight Loom

I taped all the wires together using electrical tape and then wrapped them with plastic loom wrap. You can see that I used one of the loom hangers to make sure the loom doesn't get tugged or pulled at the firewall connector.  I have the headlight relays, plugs, fuse and heavier headlight connectors in hand and will probably install them on my next trip to work on the 'Stang.

Thermostat Housing w/ extra Water  Jacket

My dad went by Napa Auto Parts to pick up the thermostat housing you see above which will allow me to put in the extra temperature sensor that will control the electric fans to cool the radiator.

No comments:

Post a Comment