Friday, April 22, 2011

Pulley Power

The crank and water pump pulley came in the mail a couple of days ago, and since traffic was so bad on the 91 East today, I knew that Lauren wouldn't be home until late. A cement truck turned over near the toll road and had traffic backed up to the 57 freeway. This gave me a bit of a cushion to get to my parents house and install the pulleys and get back home before Lauren.


Overturned Cement Truck on 91-E after the 241

I went over to my parents house with the pulleys and Petey. When I got there I started looking for three crank bolts and four water pump bolts. The water pump bolts were fine thread and had to be fairly short so they wouldn't hit the cone of the pump. I used locking washers on the bolts to keep them from coming loose.

Top View

It took me a while to find the crank bolts because they also had to be somewhat short; they were also a bigger thread size. I found the bolts I needed and found three lock washers to use here as well. I just realized that I haven't yet tightened down the pulley on the alternator. I'll have to remember to do that the next time I'm over at the house. It has been put on most of the way, but may require a bigger spacer between it and the body of the 3G alternator.


Front view


If you're wondering where the power steering pump is, it is sitting on the left side of the garage on the work bench. If you're wondering why it is there instead of on the motor, that would be because I had to fabricate spacers to move the mounting bracket about 1" off of the motor to be in line with the pulley system. If you remember from one of my recent blogs, the bracket is from a 1970 Mustang which has a water pump with the lower hose coming off of the driver's side. I had to modify the bracket to make it work with the 65-66 water pump. The main bolt now needs to be 7" to go through the bracket, spacer and into the block and we don't have any 7" bolts at the house. Once we pick up the correct bolt I can re-install the pump with my newly made spacers. We did press on the power steering pump pulley to make sure the spacers were the correct length before cutting them to fit. Once the PS pump is mounted on the engine, the motor will almost be complete. I still need spark plug wires before I can start it for the first time.

I also bought some other parts in recent history.I bought the 1970 22 gallon gas tank, the front and rear valance (body parts), the wiring to set up brighter headlights, the wiring to set up an electric fan (runs based on the engine temp), and a 1969 Mustang 24" 3-row aluminum radiator with dual electric fans. All of these parts should arrive sometime next week so I'll have a busy Saturday next weekend when Lauren is working.


No comments:

Post a Comment